Lost

“Lost”                 SOLC20 Day 18

Today the word “lost” has been at the forefront of my mind.  These past few days I feel like I’ve done a lot of “birdwalking”, meandering around from one thing to the next-wanting, trying, needing to find purpose and trying to be productive during my days at home.  

Lost…

I’ve been getting up, dressed and ready to go (but not going anywhere except from one room to another).  

Lost…

I have been home with my 3 dogs while my husband has been working at his office still. We are in a holding position with what will be needed when online instruction begins. I’ve been diving into books, both professional and for entertainment, checking on family and friends, checking in with my 25-year old daughter and worrying about many things.  In my current position, I don’t have my own class of students; I worry about our teachers as I know they’re thinking of their students and missing them like crazy.   

Worry is not my purpose…how can I help? how can I serve?

Lost…

I considered a daily schedule for myself (where worrying about what’s next is not on the schedule as much as it has been) and posting up in the kitchen like many parents have been doing with their kiddos.  I brought lots of work home but the work was for our TCRWP “test prep” units and we are no longer having a state test. The work isn’t this at this time.   

Lost…

And in the midst of writing this post tonight, a twitter chat provided some clarity.  I will still check on my parents, my daughter, my friends and I feel the purpose in that. The purpose for my professional work is my biggest concern.  The chat reminded me that we are “in this together”, we are a community of readers, writers, learners and distances or “holding patterns” don’t need to pause that work. Learning will look different but I do believe it will be learning that brings us closer together as a school community, a professional learning community and reading and writing community. The learning we discussed tonight can fuel ideas once we have a more defined course, an adjusted flight plan.  Thank you to our TCRWP community!

I feel like these words from J.R. Tolkien are an appropriate ending to my post:

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,

A light from the shadows shall spring;

Renewed shall be blade that was broken

The crownless again shall be king.

– J.R. Tolkien

3 thoughts on “Lost

1. Your perspective is honest and refreshing. I appreciate the rawness of your words this evening. Maybe you “find” your way amidst that which is “lost.”

2. This is a great poem to ponder and keep in the forefront during these challenging days. This will pass and we will rise up again.

3. Thank you sharing where you are and I think you will find it’s easier to move out of lost as we readjust. I’ve felt lost and then it goes and then it comes back.